Communicate clearly to your customers and staff
Good documentation makes your product easier to use, easier to maintain, and easier to sell
What happens when you ask your software designer, business expert or programmers to write your user guides and other technical documents?
Apart from perhaps saving some money because you employ them anyway, you will find that the documents don’t get read, your Help desk is besieged and your customers are frustrated. This is because they lack the specialist communication skills required to write a great document.
Writing clear, accurate and useful instructions is a specialist skill and using a specialist for your technical writing ensures your product is easier to use, easier to maintain, and easier to sell.
Technical Writing Examples
- Manuals and guides
- Online help
- Knowledge base
- Business policies and procedures
- Training materials
- Health & Safety files
- White papers
- Design specifications
- Project plans
- Test plans
- Reference guides
- Mission statements
- Assembly instructions
With over 30 years’ experience in technical writing for a very wide range of industries, I don’t just write your documents. I will evaluate them to ensure that the content is sensible.Alison Reeves - Write to Win
How Up-To-Date are your Policies & Procedures?
Do your policies and procedures describe the way you do things now, or some time ago? Are they living documents that you use, or are they just gathering dust? Do they describe the type of business you are today?
I will make sure:
- all your policies and procedures are up-to-date and ready for any audit
- it’s easy to find out what needs to be done even if key people are not available
- no-one can say they have forgotten how to do something, because they will know where to find the information they need
Do your Product Manuals, User Guides and Online Help Make Sense?
Users buying your products need to know how to use them, without you being available to tell them what to do. Using a technical writer means you can concentrate on developing your products whilst your customers enjoy clear documentation knowing they have purchased the right product.
Your benefits are:
- your customers get a more professional product.
- customers can perform basic tasks without support.
- documentation can form the basis of face-to-face training which can provide an additional income stream.
- customers can learn about advanced functions when they are ready.
- tasks are explained from an outsiders or learners point of view.
- customers fully understand the commercial benefits of using your product or software.
Technical Writing Training and Mentoring
Don’t know where to start with your business documents?
Download my 101 Business Writing Tips eBook below
Tips from a business writer with over 20 years’ experience
What People Are Saying
“Good practical tips and techniques. ”
Many thanks for all of your work on our manuals this year. It is very much appreciated. Hopefully we’ll be working with you again next year.Joanne Moore
Thank you for the timely delivery of the documentation. I am pleased to say it is exactly what we required.Keith Muirhead